Saturday, May 17

Are you ready for life without bananas?

Well, at least Cavendish bananas -- which are still under attack from Panama disease -- still not looking good for their future. Time to diversify your taste buds. Start checking out some of the other 1,200 varieties. Encourage the produce managers to carry more varieties.

Personally I'm doing my part to foster diversity in the banana world. I've probably killed at least 10 different varieties of bananas with which I've experimented in the garden here at Boydston Manor. The desert winds tend to suck all the moisture out of the big banana leaves and if the root structure isn't already well established when they happens you completely lose the plant. I may not be able to save the Cavendish but I'll keep trying to get something else going locally. :-)

No comments: