Wednesday, March 12

SPAM TALE
I have this email account with charter.net, which provides our access at home. I have never given out the address to anyone. And so I almost never check it. Tonight I got the bright idea that I should at least go in there to see if charter.net was sending me anything about the account. And before I could do anything about it I had downloaded 1,300 pieces of spam that had been accumulating in my mailbox. So just how is it that the spammers figured out about the address that I never gave to anyone? Sure some of it had to be of the random generated variety where they take a list of names and put them in front of @charter.net -- but really -- not all 1,300 would have been generated that way. And as far as I can tell Charter isn't doing anything to block the stuff. At least on my EarthLink account there is spaminator -- an inadequate but noble attempt.

No comments: