Sunday, June 29

HOME AGAIN
I arrived home from my 11 day Chicago trek late last night. Observations:

1. I probably inhaled more second hand smoke in my 11 days in Chicago than in the last eight years in California, where smoking in public buildings and in restaurants is illegal. It is barbaric to have smoking in the same room as where food is being served and consumed.

2. In spite of some backwardness in tobacco usage Chicago is still a great place. I love the energy of the city and the summer charm comes out when the snow and the nasty wind off the lake isn't there. There were only a few days over 90 degrees. So the humidity wasn't TOO unbearable.

3. Midway airport is a totally new and improved place.

4. Dollar Car Rental at Midway was not only lame on the way in but they were not with it on the way out, either. I spent 15 minutes waiting for someone to check in my rental. They only had one person on duty and he was busy with his friends. Fortunately I had built in enough time so I wasn't late.

5. I love the agricultural smells of summer nights in Turlock. Notice I didn’t say odors. I can live with out the occasional dairy drift. But we don’t often have that in summer.

No comments: