Friday, September 5

TNIV
I know that a lot of people have somehow gotten the idea that the Today's New International Version translation of the Bible is from the pit of hell (I think they got the idea from James Dobson). But I've been using the NT I was given in February (the Old Testament won't be done until 2005) and I haven't seen anything in there that is objectionable or poor translation. No translation is perfect. But the TNIV flows well -- easier reading than the NIV. Only 7% of the text is different than the NIV -- or so they say.

The whole concern about "gender neutral" language seems to be much about nothing. They don't translate everything as "gender neutral" -- only when pronouns appear by context to be non-gender specific. Sometimes "sons of God" becomes "children of God" but not always. All of this seems to be driven by changes in contemporary use of the language rather than any kind of feminist agenda.

Don Madvig, one of my seminary professors, is playing a major role in the translation. He is one of a few biblical scholars who is academically qualified to do technical research in both the Old and New Testaments.

I found that the .pdf version on the TNIV site was left "open" so that you can copy and paste actual text into a wordprocessor.

No comments: