Monday, December 15

ASSYRIAN FUNERAL
(Monday) I went to an Assyrian Church of the East funeral this morning -- another first for me. The service was almost totally in Assyrian -- so my understanding was extremely limited. The congregation had no part in the service. Even those who spoke Assyrian sat and listened to the choir and the priest chant -- occasionally making the sign of the cross. The choir, which consisted of ten men or so, mostly older, was actually pretty decent.

There was enough incense to make it an Eastern service but unlike an Eastern Orthodox liturgy there were no icons and things were not nearly as ornate. (I think the church seperated from Orthodoxy before icons really came into vogue). It was shorter than I thought it would be -- lasting only 50 minutes. The place was packed and they were squeezing people into the pews.

No comments: