Tuesday, December 9

GOD HELMET
(Tuesday) Yesterday The Word Spy, which reports on new words and phrases, featured "God Helmet" -- "n. A headpiece that simulates a religious or spiritual experience by stimulating certain areas of a person's brain using electromagnetic waves."

I'm still trying to figure out what they mean by a "religious or spiritual experience." Euphoria of some sort? Most of my religious experiences are not related to any kind of spiritual high. Faith most often happens in the mundane and the routine.

(Bunny-trail alert) Speaking of "spiritual highs" -- I do remember a Kurt Kaiser/Ralph Carmichael musical in the early 70's called "Natural High." My parents bought the LP for me -- probably the second I ever owned. I bet I still have it somewhere. I think their first was "Tell It Like It Is." That was the era of youth musicals in churches. Maybe those were intended to induce a "God helmet" in kids. Mostly it was just cool to have music with a beat that was about Jesus. And then came Larry Norman... He was definitely an electromagnetic wave. But that's another bunny trail.

No comments: