Thursday, December 4

MORE TRAVEL OBSERVATIONS
(Thursday) I got back to Turlock about midnight last night. It was a good trip and I've washed everything to free my clothing of the cigarette stench that came from visiting Canadian restaurants.

Yesterday on the way out of town Carol Lawson and I visited the King's Fold Retreat and Renewal Centre outside Calgary. The Canadian churches are planning to use it for some of their conferences. It is one of the most impressive retreat centers I've seen -- setting, facilities, staff.

So, what's the deal that you Canadians have with Tim Horton's? We stopped there for some breakfast but there wasn't anything striking about the food or the atmosphere. It wasn't bad but it wasn't anything special. Yet they seem to be on every corner in Calgary.

There was a blowing snow storm that went through Calgary late yesterday morning. Cars were running off the road. Visibility was low. But it only lasted about an hour and everything returned to normal as though the whole thing hadn't really happened.

The whole airport routine in Calgary was so low-key -- no lines -- no hassle -- although the security people picked through my computer pack. I'd do the same if I were them but the US security crews have never done so. The airport is a small laidback mall.

It was fun and encouraging to meet with the committee of Canadian pastors over the past few days. They have a unique and challenging setting. But they've also got an extremely capable group of leaders.

No comments: