Friday, February 27

SHAKESPEARE BOMBS THE NEW SAT
(Friday) A few of the boys over at the Princeton Review, who have absolutely nothing invested in maintaining the status quo, are less than excited about the new SAT tests which will soon be torturing high school students. So they've written an article for the Atlantic applying the new SAT standards to the writing of some famous authors. The article is rather predictable. Shakespeare scores 2 out of 6. Hemingway does better, winning a 3. However, Theodore Kaczynski scores a perfect 6 out of 6 for his rambling essay on over-socialization.

It is a verifiable fact that I received the lowest SAT score ever when I took the test. They wrote about me in numerous educational journals; although to protect my parent's reputation they didn't use my real name. In other words, I've never been a very good test taker. So, anything which pokes fun at the test-taking industry is extremely amusing to my lower IQ mind. I'm sure, though, that this article hardly does justice to the test -- at least in the eyes of those who think such things are true predictors of academic success -- or even (cringe) success in life.

No comments: