Friday, October 8

MODERN PREFABS



Someone gave us a copy of the August edition of Sunset magazine. In that issue I came across an article on the
Glidehouse. These intriguing homes are factory-fabricated -- which makes them reasonably priced and tightly built. They use environment friendly materials -- including coated corrugated steel siding. Additional link

The Glidehouse reminds me a lot of the
Eichler homes in the Willow Glen neighborhood where I grew up. Eichlers were not prefabs. But they did use a lot of light and open space -- blurring the lines between the indoors and the outside. In the late 50's and early 60's they sold for $30,000-$40,000. In my old neighborhood they are now on the market for $750,000. I saw one listed in San Francisco for $2.5 million.

The Glidehouses are are selling between $120 and $160 per square foot -- plus delivery fees. Interesting. Very interesting.

No comments: