Monday, August 8

Monday Evening Notes

WHEN I LEFT TURLOCK at 3 a.m. this morning, I passed the pickup truck pulling the corn-dog stand. The fair is over.

INDIANAPOLIS IS green... a bit sticky but not uncomfortable. Flying was so so. I had two legs of the trip and on the first leg I ended up with a really inept flight crew. And second leg had a great flight crew. Same airline (not Southwest -- or it would have been consistently good). All of my many connections went remarkably well -- flights, shuttles, etc.

Unfortunately, this hotel, University Place Conference Center and Hotel, does not have high speed internet in the rooms. And the best dial-up connection I get is 26.4 kps! This is soooo frustrating.

Speaking of dinosaurs, during my brief time in Phoenix I saw a kid with a portable CD player and realized that I had not seen one of those things in public in ages. They have all been replaced with MP3 players. But three years ago they were so very ubiquitous. It's all temporary!

AS SOON AS I GET BACK TO civilization and have some bandwidth I'm going to have to try out the Backpack personal organizer. This is a bookmark to remind me of how to get there.

THE CURRENT EDITION of Christianity Today has a little collection of wise sayings. Most of them are a bit lame. One of them, however, is outright heretical. We had pretty much finished off Gnosticism by the sixth century. But it continues to haunt us here and there -- and this saying is an example of the philosophy which seeks to elevate the spiritual over the material.

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience.

The correct answer is -- none of the above.

ONE OF THE FEW
really annoying things about Mozilla Firefox is that if one open window locks up all of the open windows in the browser end up shutting down. Anyone have a remedy?

No comments: