Tuesday, September 13

Garden Report

We've been a composting family for years. One of the first things I set-up when we moved in to our Turlock home were the composting bins. This morning, I emptied one of them out again. Beautiful rich soil made from egg shells, banana peels, apple cores, mulched leaves, and yard clippings -- stuff that just shouldn't be wasted in the land-fills. Sometimes I even ask my neighbors for their cut grass. (I mulch mine and hardly ever bag it -- and rarely put fertilizer on the lawn -- just half a dose of slow-release in February -- mulching does the rest -- and my lawn is beautiful.)

The fuji apples are almost ready. A few of my potted mango trees are going gangbusters. Pictured is one, grown from seed, now almost four-feet tall. This particular variety (manila) should fruit well from seed-grown stock. Also pictured is my potted guava tree -- which I bought when it was a seedling. I almost lost it last fall when I transplanted it to the pot. I wouldn't be surprised if it were to fruit next season.

It looks like the tomatoes are pretty much done -- perhaps a few stragglers will fruit. I had tomatoes into December last year. I don't think we'll be so fortunate this time around.

No comments: