Friday, December 16

EDUCATION PAYS
From the NY Times: Alan B. Krueger, an economics professor at Princeton, says the evidence suggests that, up to a point, an additional year of schooling is likely to raise an individual's earnings about 10 percent. For someone earning the national median household income of $42,000, an extra year of training could provide an additional $4,200 a year. Over the span of a career, that could easily add up to $30,000 or $40,000 of present value. If the year's education costs less than that, there is a net gain.

And money is just a tangible benefit. Even apart from any economic gain I would consider my education to be among the greatest gifts I've received. I haven't always seen it that way. There were times when I wanted to do anything other than study. But my parents and my teachers made me stick to it. Sometimes you only really realize what's been given to you with extreme hindsight.

1 comment:

Ted M. Gossard said...

Though through events and matters my life is on a low rung economically and I hardly am able to use what gifts I have (though I attempt to do so everyday in what little ways the Lord may set before me)- I still am thankful for my BTh and MDIV degrees and education that went along with that. I wish I was 10 years younger. I might try to do something else educationally as well.

But in everything, God is good.