Sunday, April 23

Campus hoppers

Educators are worried about the rising number of college students who are campus hopping -- that is, who attend two or more schools during their college-careers -- 59% of those graduating from four-year colleges in 1999-2000, compared with 53% in 1992-93. More than 16% attended three colleges; 8% went to four or more.

"Researchers and college officials worry that students who campus-hop to check off all their required courses may be getting a degree, but not an education."

I'm not nearly as worried. I attended three colleges and three grad schools. I pieced together degrees using credits earned at different places and feel that I got what I put into it. Education is what happens when students engage with the faculty and curriculum -- regardless of where it happens. There are lots of students who stay on a single campus, who walk away with a degree, but who aren't all that educated.

No comments: