Saturday, January 10

Pineapple and cactus


cactus flowerPictured is the blooming cactus that I have in a pot at the condo. The bloom was at its apex today. The cactus itself was a rescue that I got from someone over two years ago. At that time it was 5 inches tall. It's now cactus flowerabout 7 feet.

Also pictured (below) is my pineapple -- right before I harvested it.

Ideally I would have left it on the plant for a few more days but there were indicators that the fruit might disappear in the night if I didn't take it now. It's been in a pot at PIBC, where I also have a second developing pineapple in another pot.

I planted the pictured pineapple from a crown that I had rooted. The original pineapple (which we ate!) was a gift from our friend Daisy Ho. She brought it from Hawaii on a visit about 14 months Pineappleago.

We'll probably eat ours in a couple of days. It's been yellowing up very rapidly in our kitchen.

Gardening on Guam does not require a bright green thumb. If you can get things into decent soil they just grow. And sometimes that's not even necessary.

It's the tropics.

2 comments:

donnjohnson said...

Since moving to California from the Midwest, I have developed a fascination with cacti and succulents. Nice work Brad!

DaveG said...

Nice post and pictures! I miss the island immensely. If you ever want to see what the island looked like in 1969 through 1981, I've got pics posted here: http://www.squidoo.com/guam_experience ... and if you're curious about pineapples, I have info on them here: http://www.squidoo.com/pineapples_botany

I always enjoy seeing your posts about Guam and what you're doing over there.

Dankalu na si yu'us ma'ase!

Dave Gardner (aka "EditorDave" or "Fanihiman95376")