Saturday, March 28

Random


Guam shoppers haven't gotten the recession memo, yet. This afternoon the mall was PACKED and people (locals & tourists!) were loaded down with full shopping bags -- just like Christmas.

Starbucks has launched VIA, its new instant coffee, in London. The reviews seem positive. Apparently 80% of UK adults are already instant coffee drinkers. It doesn't make much difference to me. I'll drink fresh brewed or instant -- Starbucks or McDonald's -- whatever -- as long as it has enough chocolate in it. ~ link

The economic downturn marks the beginning of the end of the MBA, says Matthew Stewart. I say nonsense -- utter nonsense. People have been sounding the demise of the MBA for years -- all the while the MBA programs in the US (and now around the world) continue to grow. My guess is that the degree will morph a bit to deal with the new global realities (it is after all an academic degree built on pragmatism) -- perhaps even become a bit more balanced. But it ain't goin' away anytime soon. Disclaimer: I'm not an MBA nor do I desire to be one. I'm just glad that there are others with such training to balance me out.

Texas, the only US state obstreperous enough to require students to pledge allegiance to the state flag each day, will get to keep God in the pledge. "Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible." ~ link

Is the global population shifting into reverse? This is why we're not worried about saddling our great-grandchildren with debt. At some point there won't be great-grandchildren. ~ link

Colleges are dismantling computers labs because they are not longer needed. ~ link

2 comments:

donnjohnson said...

Starbucks instant rocks! As a serious Starbucks drinker, I am amazed. They sent me two advance packets to sample. Mmmm good!

Brad Boydston said...

And there you have it -- the buzz from someone who actually knows something about coffee AND who has personally experienced VIA. It's fun to see a company introduce a risky product that succeeds.