Friday, May 22

Random

Ralph Winter, one of the great missiologists of the 20th century, has died. I met him once when we were hosting the Perspectives course at Cornerstone Covenant Church in Turlock. God used him to encourage many people to rethink the way that evangelicals structure themselves for mission. ~ link

Francis of Assisi was a great orator and apparently never said "Preach the gospel at all times and if necessary use words." I've always wondered about that. ~ link

A traditional Orange County church has morphed into a house church network ~ link

Updated to Google Chrome 3.0 -- still no support for Google bookmarks. But it zips. ~ link

Google is tweaking their logo again. ~ link

"US Mangoes" (with "Product of Mexico" stickers) are 90¢/lb at the grocery store. We had a great lunch at Lumpia House in Barrigada and they sent us home with a couple of extra local mangoes for free.

US malls are in deep trouble -- "dead-mall roster" could exceed 100 properties by the end of 2009. I'd argue that it's not just the recession but a change in the way that people shop -- and hang-out. ~ link

My wife says that I'm not allowed to buy more stringed instruments for awhile. But if some anonymous person sent me a purple Fluke I'm sure she wouldn't be upset. She likes purple and I like Flukes. ~ link

2 comments:

JavaJeff said...

"US malls are in deep trouble" mentions Metcalf South in Overland Park, KS. I recall vividly riding my bike to the property when they were constructing it (1967-8?). The mind-set and culture of that time led me to believe that it would always be busy and growing. I imagined the "future" like one of the 1964 New York Worlds Fair exibitions (GE?) I saw a few years earlier where bubble-covered monorails and flying cars would navigate around it.

donnjohnson said...

Ralph Winter was a truly original and free-thinking man. He proved that physical age was not connected to mental acuity. I loved his thought-provoking writing and view on missions and life. Heaven's gain...our loss.