Tuesday, November 9

Bloggerversary

It was on November 9, 2002 -- eight years ago today, that I published the first post on this blog. I've been on Blogger the whole time -- even pre-Google -- have enjoyed and grown with the platform.

Prior to Blogger I was spending a lot of time trying to write code for my webpages. But I made a decision that I wanted to focus more on content than customization and design. And at that point there was not a lot of customization available within the Blogger system. But even back then they were pretty reliable.

When the tsunami hit in Asia on December 27, 2004 I began to relay information from friends on site in Thailand via this blog. Somehow Google started placing my posts pretty high up in the "tsunami" search results and I was getting 6,000+ hits a day (quite phenomenal in 2004 -- I suspect that there are now blogs getting 6,000 hits a minute.).  Blogger, by then safely on Google servers, didn't bat an eye or hiccup. My previous web host wouldn't have been able to hold up under the strain but Blogger kept it going -- and for free.

IOW, it's been a good ride on Blogger and I'm hoping for many more years of great service. Thanks, Blogger!

3 comments:

Bill Kinnon said...

Congrats, bro.

Carol Noren Johnson said...

Congratulations! Great that you could provide information in 2004 and received all those hits. You read so widely and I enjoy what you put up here.

I knew you as a prolific contributor on Covnet. Whatever happened to Covnet?

I am so late to blogging, but do maintain several blogs now. Thanks for setting the standards.

Carol

Brad Boydston said...

Covnet still exists -- on the server. That is, if anyone wanted to post an email to the group it would be sent out. But most of that activity has shifted to other forums -- like Facebook.