Wednesday, June 3

Squash buen gusto de horno



We harvested the first squash buen gusto de horno today. It made a very savory and delicious supper this evening.

After I cut it up, removing pulp and seeds, I baked it on a cookie sheet at 375° for 1 hour. Then we smothered our pieces with butter, table seasoning, pepper, and garlic. I baked less than half of a fruit (it was huge) -- so there will be more for tomorrow! And there are a couple more squash still developing on the vine.

This squash is probably the gnarliest thing I've ever had a hand in growing. But it's now clear that it is more than a novelty garden crop.

In most places squash buen gusto de horno is a winter crop. I bought the over-size seeds from the fine folks at Baker Creek. I'm sure they'd be happy to get you started.

No comments: