Tuesday, October 13

Growing houseplants in water

Last spring I noticed some nice arrowhead plants (Syngonium Podophyllum) growing wild in the neighborhood (one of the benefits of living in Florida). I snipped a few cuttings, perhaps 8 in/20 cm each, and brought them home.

I then took 

  • a 30.5 oz left-over plastic Folgers ground coffee can, 
  • cut a round hole (1 in/2.5 cm) in the center of the lid, 
  • filled the can with tap water, 
  • added 1/4 tsp/1.25 ml of the liquid 2-1-6 hydroponic fertilizer that I use weekly with all my houseplants,
  • inserted the bottom of the cuttings through the hole,
  • snapped the lid onto the can,
  • and placed the plastic can in a decorative pot near a window with lots of indirect light.
This is what it looks like now. 




I haven't changed out the water but I do add water containing the fertilizer mix each week. Because the lid is snapped onto the can evaporation is low. 

This is an inexpensive way to acquire and grow houseplants. And I never have to worry about soil gnats. I have four plant containers at home and six in the office all supporting a mixture of low light tropical houseplants in water.

No comments: