Wednesday, June 18

LANDING IN CHICAGO
The descent into the city through a raging rain storm was one of the roughest I've experienced. I'm not much for roller coasters.

I had reserved an economy car with Dollar Car Rentals. But they didn't have any cars in that class when I got there. And they were not expecting any for two more hours! The clerk offered to upgrade me for $10 more per day. That sounded like a bait and switch. So I called their customer service hotline on my cell phone. After three calls I finally ended up in a PT Cruiser -- which isn't on their list. But I doubt it's an economy car. Nothing like spending two extra hours at the airport! However, I didn't have anything scheduled for the evening so I felt that I could hold my ground and didn't stress about it.

Chicago, my place of birth, is a great city (especially when it's not February). There is just so much diversity. Tonight I tuned the radio in my less-than-a-thousand-miles-on-the-odometer PT Cruiser into the Irish-American radio network. They have two stations in Chicago playing Celtic music. That is one thing we don't have in Turlock.

No comments: