Friday, July 4

INDEPENDENCE DAY
We had a great informal "tailgate" party at Cornerstone this evening. People brought food and chairs and blankets and we all hung out until the fireworks show. The fireworks at the university, a block from Cornerstone, were pretty spectacular.

I rode my bike home, avoiding the auto gridlock. But I had to maneuver around a lot of personal fireworks in the street. I can't remember ever having so much firework activity in the streets. People were having fun.

A lot of the neighbors are doing fireworks in the street on our cul-de-sac. The Sikh neighbors across the street are having a big bash and they're all dancing to Indian music in their garage. However, that pales to the Assyrian party in the house behind us. There must be 100 people back there doing Middle Eastern line dancing to a live band, chanting, rolling their tongues, beating drums (all a little more than 50 feet from where I am currently sitting).

I wonder if the founding fathers ever envisioned Indians and Assyrians celebrating the 4th.

No comments: