Saturday, August 30

COMMUNITY OF KINDNESS
Steve Sjogren and Rob Lewin new book on church planting, Community of Kindness, arrived a few days ago. A lot of what they say seems consistent with what I wrote 10 years ago. But they have a lot more wisdom than what I had back then.

I got a bit of a kick out of the endorsements. Right across the top of the front cover is a message from John Maxwell, "Something for anyone who is launching or wants to start a church." John is somewhat the antithesis of the "emerging generation" church planter. However, the first sentence of the preface states, "This book has been written for postmodern church planters who seek to reach mainstream America." I see a bit of irony in this (but, of course, irony is trendy). And technically I don't think that the church can remain faithful if it adopts postmodern values and perspective -- anymore than it can be faithful if it adopts modern values and perspective.

I haven't really gotten too far into the book -- just skimming -- but one of the things that I find disappointing is the emphasis on size -- "A church with fewer than 200 people is struggling." (p. 169). I've been advocating the development of churches that max out at 150 -- link. Hmmm... This should be an interesting read.

No comments: