Friday, November 5

UNITED STATES OF CANADA



One of the most popular graphics on the Internet this week is this somewhat humorous redefinition of North America. Apparently, some people are a little upset that a segment of evangelical Christianity exercised their right to organize and vote.

Yesterday, when I was riding the shuttle from the Oakland airport to the parking lot there was a middle-age chatty woman on the bus talking to me about her adventures as a Democratic poll worker in Florida. It was mostly a monologue. (She assumed that because I was obviously heading to my car that I was a Californian and was thus one of "them" -- that is a Democrat. I am a Californian.) She was ranting about how awful it was that the religious people had organized to foist their morality on the rest of the nation. But then without even thinking about it she explained in detail about how she was invited to speak at a certain African-American church in Florida -- "right after the sermon." She was doing the very thing that she thought was so awful when conservatives did it.
Now, you know that I'm not particularly fond of President Bush (as a leader -- I know little of him as a person) and I've never voted for him. But he was elected fair and square -- even receiving the majority of votes. So quit whining. He is the president chosen by the people.

The map is an interesting depiction of where secularism has made the most inroads. Interestingly, those also seem to be the areas where voters are more staunchly liberal. The Canadian connection is genius. BTW, American visits to the Canadian Immigration site shot up sixfold in the days immediately after the election results were announced.

No comments: