Saturday, September 17

Saturday Roundup

I HEAR VOICES (I WISH!)
Bill MacKinnon has a thought provoking discussion on how Christians hear (or supposedly hear) God speak. His conclusion is too individualistic but he is making all the right observations and he is on the right path.


GLOBAL WARMING
"Past the point of no return"


ANOTHER LIST
The top 10 universities where students almost never study. I sense a bit of hyperbole at work here.


SCUBA DIVING IN THE DESERT
The DesertUSA newsletter this issue has a great little article on scuba diving in a beautiful spring-fed pond at Balmorhea State Park in the West Texas desert. I'm not a scuba diver but after reading the article it sounds inviting. The pool is only 20 feet deep so it looks like snorkelers might be able to enjoy it, too.


FIREFOX FADING?
Yet another observer is asking whether the Firefox browser has run its course. I hope not. I like Firefox and it is my default browser. I love the plug-in applications. But I have trouble with it crashing -- and when one window crashes it takes down all of the open Firefox windows. And I'm starting to get pop-up ads again. Somehow the pop-up blocker doesn't work as well as it used to. I also find that it can really take a long time to process information. This afternoon it was trying to open a webpage -- stalling and stalling. So I opened Opera and typed in the url and the page came right up -- Firefox was still working on it. (In all fairness I should say that Opera crashed on me once today, too.) IE has remained stable. After losing information to Firefox crashes I've taken to using IE for blogging.


MICROSOFT MAIL
Is hotmail on the way out the door?


$2.899
That's what I paid per gallon when I filled up last evening. Prices continue to drop. We're just a hair above the national average. Compare prices here


POWER SUIT
An Australian who was wearing a woolen shirt and a synthetic nylon jacket, was oblivious to the growing electrical current that was building up as his clothes rubbed together -- reaching 40,000 volts -- setting the carpet on fire and nearly igniting himself. Link

2 comments:

Rick said...

By, but you're up early! It's noe yet 6:30 on a Saturday morning out there.

$2.69 at the Kroger gas station in Humble last night. And for every $100 spent at Kroger, my Kroger card knocks off another ten cents. So I paid 2.59, which is 36 cents down from the peak I saw during the Katrina rush.

Re the Global Warming note have you read "The Skeptical Environmentalist"?

Rick said...

Maybe I should spell check before leaving comments! 2 points off.