Thursday, December 29

2006 BIBLE LISTENING PLAN
The other day I mentioned some of the Bible reading plans available. Another option would be to take the same material and use it as a Bible LISTENING plan. In fact, most of the Bible was written with listeners rather than readers in mind.

(This is one reason that I encourage people to "listen" to the reading of the scriptures during corporate worship rather than trying to read along in their own Bibles. Listening is a different kind of experience than reading. Then they can open their Bibles and read along as we examine the scriptures together during the sermon.)

The BibleGateway site has several translations available for free in the streaming audio formats. MP3 Bibles can be purchased from Christian Bookstores or online at Amazon.com or ChristianBooks.com. The ESV MP3 is available for online purchase through Good News/Crossway. The KJV MP3 is free from many sites -- including this one.

IOW, there are lots of good options -- whether you are wanting to hear it streamed through your Internet connection, off a CD on your boombox, or as an MP3 on your IPod.

3 comments:

Ted M. Gossard said...

Brad, I listened to the Bible for years being read from the NIV. It was good, but I grew tired of having to replace broken cassettes.

I do think your point about having your people listen is an interesting one. Certainly like it was for the original recipients. I find reading the Bible out loud to myself to sometimes be helpful.

Listening to it was very good, but I couldn't backtrack easily when my mind wandered. Which I can do when I'm reading it. And sometimes I just like to pause and maybe reflect a bit. Harder to do unless you have a button readily available. Well, with these new fangled things, one probably does.

Thanks for sharing that Brad.

Ted

vainjangler said...

Wow, that's the first time I've heard Max McLean read the Bible. Between his dramatic style and the soft synth tones, I can't help but feel like I'm on "the bridge" with William Shatner. ;-D

Sean Meade said...

http://www.audiotreasure.com/ is worth noting. free mp3 version. the voice synthesis isn't great, but if you can't afford anything, it's better than nothing.

i REALLY think there should be a free, well-read mp3 version of the Bible available, but haven't organized the project yet ;-)