Wednesday, December 7

Pastoral temptations
Yes, I love the Chronicles of Narnia. I've read them about a gazillion times. Yes, I think that it's great that Hollywood is paying attention to some long neglected themes of a more spiritual nature. But no, I will not preach a sermon based on the themes in Narnia -- no matter how great the incentive Disney offers. And apparently they've been coming up with creative ways to enlist pastors and churches into promoting their new film The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Even if I like the film (I suspect I will) I'm now hesitant to talk about it at all, lest it comes across that somehow I, too, am on Disney's payroll -- and that I can be "bought" for a ticket in the Narnia sweepstakes. I probably shouldn't even be blogging about this because I'm only adding to the product buzz. ("All publicity is good publicity.")

It is interesting that so many promoters (especially for films, political causes, and Holy Land tours) have been trying to get pastors on their side -- hoping for a mere mention of their product in sermons. It is interesting because for years people have been telling us that no one really listens to sermons anyway. Now, we've become critical cogs in their publicity machines. Finally someone thinks we're important -- for all the wrong reasons.

Perhaps this temptation is greater than all the company perks and freebies being offered -- that is, if we'll only talk about the right things -- the fad of the moment -- the things which help big companies with their bottom line -- then suddenly we'll be transformed into relevant and contributing members of our market-driven society.

Oh, St Reepicheep pray for us that we might have even a small measure of your boldness and courage, and that we might stand firm against the wiles of that other Mouse.

1 comment:

Laura Springer said...

I hear folks are plugging Narnia as the 'greatest opportunity for evangelism in this century' (okay, maybe not in those exact words)... sounds like another movie not long ago.

Urg!