Friday, August 15
• Best written headline of the day: "Bigfoot Press Conference Yields Squat" ~ link
• US growing grayer and more diverse ~ link
• Please -- no more! When will the Left Behind madness stop? ~ link
• Signal boxes located at pedestrian crossings in countries all over the world are designed to spread the word of God, the product's Swedish manufacturer has revealed. ~ link
• The other night we walked to a local restaurant to have dinner with some new friends. On the way home we were wanting to cross the street at the more-or-less controlled intersection. I would have pushed the button to get a flashing green "go" pedestrian signal -- except I had not brought my machete -- and the jungle was starting to engulf the pole -- literally. I would have had to cut a 10-foot path to get to the button to even see if the finger is pointing up. This is the way Guam is -- some quite modern and up-to-date equipment -- but generally it is not installed with much thought to either functionality or continued maintenance.
• The ocean's dead zones are expanding, according to new research. The dead zones of eutrophication now comprise around 245,000 sq km. They're related to pollution and fertilizer run-off. ~ link