Tuesday, September 2

Chrome -- first impressions



I downloaded the new Google web-browser. My first impression is that it is still pretty basic -- perhaps released prematurely. It is fast and lean -- handles the audio and visual downloads really really well. But it still lacks some basic functionality. 

Chrome logo
They need to add a home button so I can quickly return to my start page. They do use a tab feature similar to Opera where they bring up your most visited website on a new tab. But that adds an extra step in getting back to home.

Most importantly Chrome needs to be able to support the Google tool bar or have all of those features fully integrated. I move between computers and rely on the bar for quick access to everything in my toolbag -- highest priority are bookmarks. Knowing Google you can be sure that the integration is in process but that would have been one of the first features I developed if I were building a browser.

UPDATE: Some of the tool bar issues and homepage issues can be addressed by dragging bookmarks onto the bookmark bar on the top -- still a bit clunkly but it does add functionality.

It's going to be a great browser but Chrome is still in extreme beta. I don't know whether it was leaked intentionally (Google sometimes acts counter-intuitively) or accidently (forcing Google to release it earlier than scheduled) but it isn't quite ready for prime time -- yet.


1 comment:

Marc Vandersluys said...

If you click on the wrench in the upper right-hand corner and select "Options", under the "Basic" tab, under "Home page" you can put a check mark in "Show Home button on the toolbar". I don't know why that isn't the default position.

Also, if you don't have it open on the home page or series of pages (opened in tabs), it will open a "New Tab" page with your most frequently visited sites.

Hope that helps.

(I don't work for Google, by the way. I'm just a reader who has been fiddling with Chrome all day. And it could certainly use some additional functionality---I'm looking for a better way to organize bookmarks/favourites).