Friday, October 2

Random

• Thanks for the Google Wave invite or at least thinking that you'd send me one. But I'll let the rest of you work out the glitches for a few months before I jump in.

• "More than half of babies now born in the UK and other wealthy nations will live to 100 years, researchers say..." ~ link

11 days until Arizona fall league baseball begins! I want to see the Mesa Solar Sox try to take on the Phoenix Desert Dogs ~ link

• Mark Goodacre's podcast introducing the "Gospel of Thomas" is now up. Do listen all the way through. Dr Goodacre has a Colombo-like habit of adding comments or questions after he has signed off. This one is amusing. ~ link

Quotable from a Princeton student who received a free Kindle:
"I hate to sound like a Luddite, but this technology is a poor excuse of an academic tool," says senior Aaron Horvath. "It's clumsy, slow, and a real pain to operate."

Horvath added that using the Kindle has forced him to change the way he studies and digests reading material.

"Much of my learning comes from a physical interaction with the text: bookmarks, highlights, page-tearing, sticky notes, and other marks representing the importance of certain passages -- not to mention margin notes, where most of my paper ideas come from and interaction with the material occurs," he says. "All of these things have been lost, and if not lost, they're too slow to keep up with my thinking and the 'features' have been rendered useless."
This is exactly why I'm not ready for a Kindle. I don't think they're yet ready for me.

David Neff on IVP's new Ancient Christian Doctrine series -- vol 1, general intro ~ link

No comments: